Two Taliban suicide bombers on foot struck close to the Afghanistan defence ministry in Kabul during late afternoon rush hour, killing at least five people and wounding 13 others, officials said.
The latest assault on Monday comes as the Taliban intensify their nationwide offensive against the US-backed government in Kabul.
“Two suicide bombers, both on foot, detonated their explosives… in downtown Kabul,” interior ministry spokesman Sediq Sediqqi told AFP.
“The attackers blew themselves up one after another and unfortunately we do have police and civilian casualties,” he added.
The Italian-run Emergency Hospital in Kabul tweeted that it had so far received 10 injured people, with more expected.
Taliban spokesman Zabihullah Mujahid said that the defence ministry was the target of the first attack, while police were targeted in the second.