Boko Haram terrorists attack soldiers, many killed

Not less than 15 suspected terrorists were killed in Rann, in the northern part of Borno State, on Friday following a fierce battle that lasted about three hours between troops of Operation Lafiya Dole and Boko Haram terrorists.

This was as it was further revealed that four soldiers were wounded in the course of the gun exchange with members of the dreaded sect.

According to multiple sources including a report by an online medium, the Premium Times, the battle between the security outfit and the insurgent group started at around 6a.m and did not end until after 9a.m.

Sources revealed that the prolonged battle began when fighters of the terror group launched a surprise attack on the troop location in Rann, in northern Borno, shooting sporadically.

The soldiers, from 3 Battalion and 112 Task Force Battalion, who were stationed in the area, were however said to had responded promptly, killing many of the terrorists and wounding several others.

When the dust settled, several terrorists were found dead, as a source disclosed that more than 15 of the Boko Haram fighters were killed in action, even as another source claimed that the figure was much higher, saying many other terrorists escaped from the scene with gunshot wounds.

The two sources however said four Nigerian soldiers were wounded in action, adding that the nearby 22 Brigade was contacted to send an air ambulance to evacuate a critically injured soldier.

See also  Obasanjo seeks Sunday Igboho's release, visits Benin Republic President

The  military was said to have rushed an Augusta helicopter to the battle front in Rann, northern Borno, to pick one of the four soldiers wounded in Friday’s fierce battle with fighters of the Boko Haram terror sect.

The military moved swiftly shortly after receiving information from battle commanders who requested urgent evacuation of a soldier said to be critically injured, our sources said.

It was reported that the Nigerian Air Force (NAF) helicopter departed Maiduguri for Rann at around 1 p.m. to convey the soldier to 133 Reference Hospital in Kaduna.

One official said the three other injured soldiers might be evacuated as well if their conditions deteriorate and become unmanageable by medical personnel at the war front.

Before proceeding to Rann, the helicopter made a stop over at Gamboru to pick up the commanding officer of 3 Battalion. The aircraft is said to have returned to base in Maiduguri.

Military insiders  described the action as “a new high in a renewed push to be extra vigilant and efficient in battle.”

Sources gave arms and ammunition recovered from the terrorists to include two AK47 rifles, four FN rifles, one M21 rifle, 110 X 7.62MM NATO ammunition, 20 X 7.62MM Special, 40 X M21 rounds, 4 X FN extra magazine and two locally made explosives.

See also  PDP House of Reps members oppose Goodluck Jonathan's move to APC

The shoot-out was the first since the military claimed it had overpowered and chased the Boko Haram sect from the dreaded Sambisa Forest, a fortress from where the group launched its attacks for years, killing thousands of Nigerians over the years.

The gun battle was also coming a day after the leader of the terror sect, Abubakar Shekau, appeared in a new video, claiming that his group had not been defeated, even as the military authorities debunked the assertion, saying the video by Shekau was a piece of propaganda aimed at misinforming Nigerians.

The Nigerian military had also claimed that the video was particularly creating fear and panic in the people and should thus be disregarded.

There was no official comments from the authorities on Friday as telephone calls made to the spokespersons of the military were not answered.

Share this story