Obanikoro’s N1.2bn scandal: Gov Fayose speaks up

Ekiti State Governor, Mr. Ayodele Fayose has dismissed former minister of state for Defence, Senator Musiliu Obanikoro’s alleged confession to the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission (EFCC) that Fayose received money from the Office of the National Security Adviser (ONSA) under Col. Sambo Dasuki (retd) to fund his election in 2014.

The governor said for the sake of equity, the 2015 campaign funds of the All Progressives Congress (APC) must be probed.

In a statement signed by his Special Assistant on Public Communications and New Media, Lere Olayinka, Fayose said he was only reacting to fulfil all righteousness because Nigerians are more interested in having food on their tables and added, “those who arranged the dramatic and compromised return of Obanikoro to Nigeria obviously did so in continuation of their project ‘Fayose must be implicated at all cost’ but I am not bothered because my election was legitimately funded.

Fayose, who said the Federal Government should stop an alleged media trial against him, urged government to pay attention to hunger and suffering ravaging Nigerians.

“Since we are now in the era in which financial assistance from Nigerians to fund elections is being criminalised, the international community, especially those funding EFCC must insist that the commission probes funding of APC elections before further funds are released to the commission.”

See also  Super TV boss murder: Police suspects conspiracy, expands dragnet

He continues: “This project, ‘Fayose must be implicated at all cost’ will definitely not put food on the tables of Nigerians and for all I care, the EFCC and its collaborators can keep running from pillar to post while I keep delivering good governance to Ekiti and its people.

“We have gone pass this stage of media trial; EFCC should, rather, keep its gun powder dry. When we get to the bridge, we will cross it. They said more than this in the 2006 poultry scam blackmail. Despite that, I am governor, today,” he said.

Meanwhile,  Justices Agbadu James Fishim and Uwani Abba-Aji, of the Federal High Court, reported at the  Lagos office of the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission (EFCC), yesterday. They went to honour the commission’s ‘invitation.’’

EFCC spokesman, Wilson Uwujaren confirmed their appearance at the commission and said “the two judges presented themselves to operatives of the commission at the zonal office in Ikoyi, Lagos.”

Before yesterday, three other judges had reported to the EFCC. They were Justices Mohammed Nasir Yunusa, Hyeladzira Ajiya Nganjiwa Musa and Musa Haruna Jurya.

Some of the Justices, according to the EFCC, were accompanied by their lawyers and “have so far been cooperating with operatives. They made statements and were allowed to go home.”

The commission said that it was still expecting Justice Rita Ofili-Ajumogobia to honour the invitation extended to her.
EFCC also said it beamed its searchlight on eight judges and two court Registrars based on petitions received from members of the public.

Obanikoro, who was detained when he reported to the EFCC, on Monday, is still with the agency as at Wednesday evening. The ex-minister was still with the commission. He had earlier admitted giving N1.2 billion to Fayose for his re-election in 2014.

See also  Bitcoin drop leads to $200 Billion loss in Crypto Market

Obanikoro was confronted with evidence of N4.6 billion wired to his son’s firm, Sylva MacNamara from the Office of the National Security Adviser( ONSA) when Col Sambo Dasuki(retrd) was in charge.

He was shown proof of how moved part of the money to Akure, the Ondo state capital en- route Ekiti state for the election of Governor Fayose and to Osogbo, the Osun state capital, where the candidate of the People’s Democratic Party, Senator Iyiola Omisore lost to Governor Rauf Aregbesola.

But Obanikoro, it was gathered denied the allegation but claimed that the money from the Office of the National Security Adviser(ONSA) was “to ward off Boko Haram aggression in Lagos and the South West in general.”

Meanwhile, the state government has denied shutting down Ado-Ekiti branch of Access Bank Plc following Monday’s brief detention of wife of former Minister of Aviation, Chief Femi Fani-Kayode, Precious Chikwendu, at the bank by Economic and Financial Crimes Commission (EFCC).

In a statement in Ado-Ekiti yesterday by the Chief Press Secretary to the Governor, Mr, Idowu. Adelusi, the government said it had nothing against the bank and there was no reason whatsoever to shut down the financial institution.

“The attention of the state government has been drawn to rumours making the round, especially on social media that Ekiti State Government has shut down a branch of Access Bank in Ado-Ekiti, the state capital. This is definitely coming from the warped minds of opposition elements, whose mouths have been locked by the sterling performance of Governor Ayodele Fayose and the unprecedented support he is enjoying from the people of the state.

See also  Fulani herdsman sentenced to jail for grazing on farmland

“For the sake of clarity, Ekiti State Government has no axe to grind with the management of Access Bank. Also, the state government does not license banks and cannot withdraw the same.

“We urge the people of Ekiti State and Nigerians in general to disregard such unfounded rumours. They should not let themselves be dragged to the level of the unintelligent like the opposition people have shown by embarking on this type of insinuation they probably brought from the pit of hell.” the CPS stated.

Share this story