Turkey: Bomb explosion kill 11 at Police Headquarters

At least 11 police officers have been killed and 70 wounded in a truck bomb attack at a police headquarters in Cizre in southeastern Turkey, according to the local governor’s office.

The bomb was exploded at a checkpoint outside the headquarters on Friday, after the attackers failed to pass the guards there, state media said. The blast was followed by an armed battle between the police and attackers.

Predominantly-Kurdish Cizre is in Turkey’s Sirnak province and it borders both Syria and Iraq.

The attack killed 11 police officers and injured 78 people, 3 of whom were civilians, the statement by Sirnak governor’s office said.

Large plumes of smoke billowed from the attack site, footage on Turkish televisions showed. They also displayed a large three-storey building reduced to its concrete shell, with no walls or windows, and surrounded by grey rubble.
PKK blamed

Turkish Prime Minister Binali Yildirim blamed the outlawed Kurdistan Workers’ Party (PKK) rebels for the attack.

“We will give those vile [attackers] the answer they deserve,” Yildirim told a news conference in Istanbul on Friday.

On Thursday, Interior Minister Efkan Ala accused the same group of attacking a convoy carrying the country’s main opposition party leader, Kemal Kilicdaroglu. One security official was killed in the incident.

See also  Three die as Hurricane Ophelia batters Ireland

The PKK, an armed group seen as a terrorist organisation by Turkey, the US and the EU, has recently stepped up its attacks in southeastern Turkey.

The latest attack in Cizre comes two days after Turkish forces launched an unprecedented ground and air offensive into neighbouring Syria, which, according to Turkish officials, targeted the Islamic State of Iraq and the Levant and Syrian Kurdish fighters.

Ankara sees Syria’s Kurdish Democratic Union Party (PYD) and its armed People’s Protection Units (YPG) fighters as an extension of the PKK.

Southeastern Turkey is going through the most intense fighting in decades after a ceasefire between the Turkish state and the PKK collapsed in July last year.

The military has repeatedly ordered military operations and curfews in southeastern urban centres, including Cizre, since then.

More than 40,000 people, have died since the PKK rebels took up arms in 1984.

Share this story

Be the first to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.